Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Y18 UFO Project update #2: progress

Diane's colorful versions of the Concentric Doily has been my inspiration for tatting my own, but somehow I started thinking that I had to have a variegated thread in the mix. That's probably because that's the way I did my first. If I told you that this is my third year to commit to "tatting from my stash" you would understand my dilemma when I found none of my variegated threads look good with this red! I was ready to call this one done as a bookmark.
However, as I was reviewing Diane's lovely doilies in preparation to adding a link in this post, I realized that I CAN finish it. I will use solid colors! (Don't laugh at me. Sometimes my thinking processes are a bit sluggish, I know. LOL) Result? This one is NOT finished as I shall continue to turn it into a doily.

I've also completed the second set of chain rounds on Flowerpiece by Mary Konior (pages 36-37 of Tatting with Visual Patterns). I'm ready to start the final round of 12 joining motifs.

No new pictures of this one, but I'm one repeat (about an inch of tatting) from completing one long side of the 'monster edging project' (Konior's Clover from the same book). I've been working on this edging off and on since October 2017. There are 54 repeats in one long side. I'm enjoying this edging now that I finally noticed some details in the repeats that have meant I no longer have to refer to the diagram two or three times in each repeat. There is a running theme here, I know. Those of you newer to tatting who still find that you must refer to your diagrams frequently should take note. I've been tatting about 25 years and it took me about 40 repeats in this edging before I 'figured it out.' And it really isn't a complicated pattern. 

Thank you all for sticking with me as I work my way through my UFOs. Sharing them with you like this helps me to stay focused. I hope that some of you find some encouragement from my ramblings as well.

Happy tatting!



6 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

We do😄it very interesting and fun to see how we are all alike💟

God's Kid said...

Your doily is going to be awesome!!! :)
Love the 2nd doily already!! :)
One repeat at a time for the edging(ask me, I know from experience on the tablecloth still a work in progress-possibly forever)! ;)

Jane McLellan said...

One of those duh moments, I had one yesterday, so I know the feeling. You’re making progress on those ufos, good for you!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Isn't it funny how we get an idea stuck in our heads and can't seem to get past it? I'm sure your concentric doily will be beautiful in solid colors! I've been thinking of tatting another of that pattern. I love the way it flows!

That Mary Konior pattern is another of my favorites! I like that you have the variegated in the middle with solid colors surrounding it... just what I would have done!

Anonymous said...

So inspiring - you're finishing UFOs, tatting from your stash....all things I really need to be doing....want to do....but somehow have not quite managed to accomplish so far. Your tatting is lovely. I enjoy reading what you've been doing, too.
StephanieW

muskaan said...

Love the progress on both and the clearing of clouds to move ahead with the runner !
Now wondering which colour you'll choose ...