Saturday, March 24, 2018

Sewing instead of tatting

For so many reasons, I've found it difficult to get ant tatting done. My only craft project of any kind has been sewing bibs. This were made by my third design. Each design filled a specific need as my family developed.



The first design (about 30 years ago) had a pocket that worked great to collect all of that food that falls to the lap of little ones when they start trying to feed themselves. The second design was adapted to catch or hold the finger foods of snacking toddlers on the move. My most recent design of about a year ago was developed for the toddler who loves to be putting hands and other small things in pockets. I'm already thinking about design number four as the latest toddler heads toward preschool age.

Making this latest batch of bibs has been a walk down memory lane for me. And aren't those fabrics beautiful?! I felt like a child in a candy store as I picked out the supplies.

I hope to have tatting to share in the near future. Meanwhile, I give thanks for all of the blessings I experience every day in getting to watch the next generation grow up.

Happy tatting!

Monday, February 12, 2018

Found it!

I'm so excited! Do you remember my search a few months ago for a particular raspberry pattern. I tatted a sample of it many years ago, but couldn't find it anywhere. Well, I found it.
Tatted Raspberry Edging by Kim Goetz
published in Flower & Garden in 1996
Tatted in Finca 16, the raspberries are 1 inch tall.

Now if I could just remember why I was looking for it...

Happy tatting!

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Y18 UFO Project Update #3

Flowerpiece (in progress)
Tatting with Visual Patterns
by Mary Konior
pgs 36-27

I've only been able to tat a little on the go, so I haven't worked on the 'monster edging' project. Instead I started the final round of Flowerpiece. Because I chose to use the variegated thread for both the rings and chains of this round, I can use some split rings to move from medallion to medallion and tat the round continuously. 

Making progress, slowly but surely.

Happy tatting!

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Y18 UFO Project update #2: progress

Diane's colorful versions of the Concentric Doily has been my inspiration for tatting my own, but somehow I started thinking that I had to have a variegated thread in the mix. That's probably because that's the way I did my first. If I told you that this is my third year to commit to "tatting from my stash" you would understand my dilemma when I found none of my variegated threads look good with this red! I was ready to call this one done as a bookmark.
However, as I was reviewing Diane's lovely doilies in preparation to adding a link in this post, I realized that I CAN finish it. I will use solid colors! (Don't laugh at me. Sometimes my thinking processes are a bit sluggish, I know. LOL) Result? This one is NOT finished as I shall continue to turn it into a doily.

I've also completed the second set of chain rounds on Flowerpiece by Mary Konior (pages 36-37 of Tatting with Visual Patterns). I'm ready to start the final round of 12 joining motifs.

No new pictures of this one, but I'm one repeat (about an inch of tatting) from completing one long side of the 'monster edging project' (Konior's Clover from the same book). I've been working on this edging off and on since October 2017. There are 54 repeats in one long side. I'm enjoying this edging now that I finally noticed some details in the repeats that have meant I no longer have to refer to the diagram two or three times in each repeat. There is a running theme here, I know. Those of you newer to tatting who still find that you must refer to your diagrams frequently should take note. I've been tatting about 25 years and it took me about 40 repeats in this edging before I 'figured it out.' And it really isn't a complicated pattern. 

Thank you all for sticking with me as I work my way through my UFOs. Sharing them with you like this helps me to stay focused. I hope that some of you find some encouragement from my ramblings as well.

Happy tatting!



Friday, January 19, 2018

Y18 UFO Project update - 1 down, 14 to go

I promised an update on the 'monster' doily edging, so here it is.
Mary Konior's Clover
from pg 36-37 of Tatting with Visual Patterns
size 80 thread

I can't remember when I started this one--October or November? I do remember telling my sister that it might be ready by Christmas 2018. My last post contained a closeup of the edging (bottom right corner of the collage). It really is a beautiful edging made of rings and chains. As you can see, I'm about 3/4 of the way down the first long side.

But this one is finished!
Flora size 20 thread

It was wingless, but now it can fly. I had to tat a dandelion blossom for her.

Let me tell you about her resting place. My mom sewed this up for me. It is a little larger than a placemat, white on one side and this lovely floral design on the other. It protects my clothing from getting caught in my tatting hook, it keeps items from rolling around the table, and it also works great for quickly gathering everything up so I can handle something else. I just use the side up that provides the best contrast to the threads I'm working with. It gets used a lot!

Now I return to the monster edging for a few more repeats before bed.

Happy tatting!